ad ad

14 Comments

1. Roy Bell
    October 2, 2016 @ 9:06 pm

Great article, thanks for bringing back all the memories to. We remodeled and built so many of the hangouts down town back then …. The Last Resort, Tyron’s OC, Sparky’s, on and on. Plus I met my wife in 1977 while she was in college here. The article bright it all back to me thanks a million.

2. Peggy Gugino
    September 10, 2016 @ 10:38 pm

This was our very favorite place to eat and hang out in Athens!!! Thank you for sharing your memories!
    I remember one visit when there had been a swarm of termites! We sadly had to wait and come back another thing day!

3. Lee Beasley
    July 15, 2016 @ 3:19 pm

Thanks for sharing, Bob!

4. Lee Beasley
    July 15, 2016 @ 3:18 pm

My future wife, Sharon Barrington, who was a student in the art department, and I, hanging around town after graduating from the J School, loved to eat there in the middle 70s. She remembers the egg salad sandwich on the great whole bread with sprouts, and we both loved the black beans on brown rice topped with fresh tomatoes and sour cream.

Gary Crider was a housemate at 153 1/2 Milledge Terrace in Athens’s Five Points .

neighborhood, as was Zeke Addison, who provided the concert speakers for the first B-52’s performance at Julia’s and Gray’s house on Milledge.

Thanks for shar

5. john singleton
    July 15, 2016 @ 1:02 pm

Wow! Love getting squashed by the Nostalgia Train:) Miss Athens immensely.

6. Alice Sampson
    July 14, 2016 @ 6:42 pm

Great article, Bob! Thank you for reminding us of the great times!

• Lola montgomery
      July 15, 2016 @ 12:35 pm

Only objection is that this article is too short…. I kept thinking, yes! And what about…..

And greetings to all you stalwarts

7. John (Pat) Huie
    July 14, 2016 @ 6:33 pm

Wow, that really fills in some history for me. I helped start and then managed the Eldo…and then, completely burned out, left town about 1978. I never really knew what happened after that. The care and originality lavished on the daily menus tells a lot.

8. Gary Evans
    July 14, 2016 @ 3:08 pm

Bobby Hay! Those were the days my old companion. When my wife Jenny and I first moved to Athens in 1977 we went to the Eldorado one time and Fred from the B-52s was our waiter. I was studying journalism and dabbling with the Squalls — or perhaps vice versa — but I do remember it was in that room that I sang the IRA with you guys — an utterly politically incorrect tribute to Bobby Sands, the Irish revolutionary who died while on a hunger strike during his incarceration. It’s really hard to capture, and certainly to overstate, the arising energy of Athens in those days, as art and music reached critical mass. Hershel Walker didn’t hurt either.

9. lisa mende
    July 14, 2016 @ 12:57 pm

when I would come to visit my brother , Nathan, we would stagger to the Eldo, early morning sleepless. Skinny dipping at The Ball Pump, Eldo, and the amazing energy and people of Athens were what decided me to leave L.A. in the dust and have a better life.

10. Caroline Aiken
    July 14, 2016 @ 10:55 am

A MILLION!

11. Caroline Aiken
    July 14, 2016 @ 10:54 am

Wow! Look at those beautiful menus! Brings back a milliin memories, thank you!!! El Dorado was my go to place in Athens for food, communityx aolice, and surprise 🙂

12. Ron Arrington
    July 14, 2016 @ 10:48 am

Yes and their bread baker was a fellow named Les Jampole, (sic) who lived in a Tee Pee on the Oconee river … I think he was a musician as well … Played Acoustic Guitar with Cracked Wheat? … Cracked Wheat was a bluegrass band around that time .,. I often wondered what happened to good ole’ Les …

• Alice Sampson
      July 14, 2016 @ 6:44 pm

Unfortunately, Ron, he passed away ten years or so ago. He was a great guy.